Over at Has Boobs, Reads Comics, Jill is running a contest asking her readers who their favorite DC character. And while I consider myself a bigger DC than Marvel fan, I had trouble coming up with someone. Maybe because I don’t read any DC title (outside of Tiny Titans!) regularly any more.
So my answer is Wesley Dodd’s Sandman. Why?
- He doesn’t have any superpowers, just a big intellect and deep pockets.
- He decides to use his resources to help stem the tide of evil leaking out over the world during the 1940s.
- He fought crime in a fedora, trench coat, and gas mask.
- He didn’t kill, but put his enemies to sleep.
- He practiced mediation.
- He had the best friends (Justice Society of America).
- And he had the smarts to fall in love with Dian Belmont.
If you haven’t taken the opportunity to read Sandman Mystery Theatre, you’re missing out.